Athlone Town Centre Public Realm Enhancement
WESTMEATH COUNTY COUNCIL
COMHAIRLE CONTAE NA hIARMHI
Part XI OF THE PLANNING AND DEVELOPMENT ACT 2000 (as amended)
PART 8 OF THE PLANNING AND DEVELOPMENT REGULATIONS, 2001 (as amended)
Pursuant to the requirements of the above, notice is hereby given that Westmeath County Council proposes to undertake the following works:
DEVELOPMENT OF PUBLIC REALM ENHANCEMENT WORKS, ENCOMPASSING APPROXIMATELY 0.6HA AT MARDYKE ST, PUMP LANE AND SEAN COSTELLO ST., ATHLONE, CO. WESTMEATH
The proposed development will include the following public realm improvements:
- Provision of upgraded footpaths and realignment of existing carriage way along Mardyke Street, including 120m of a Shared Surface area and pedestrianisation of 90m of Sean Costello Street, from its junction with Pump Lane to its junction with Mardyke Street, to take account of the access needs of pedestrians, mobility impaired persons and service vehicles.
- Provision of an enhanced public realm and landscape improvements, including street furniture, incidental play equipment, cycle parking, trees, and soft landscaping to enhance biodiversity.
- Provision of a priority signalised junction, including enhanced pedestrian facilities, at the junction of Mardyke Street, Gleeson Street, Pump Lane, and St Mary’s Square.
- Upgrade to public lighting, including focal lighting to Sean Costello Street.
- And all necessary accommodation works, including utility provision, drainage, signage, and other ancillary works.
The proposed scheme has undergone Appropriate Assessment Screening under the Habitats Directive (92/43/EEC) and screening for Environmental Impact Assessment under the EIA Directive 2014/52/EU. Any person may, within 4 weeks from the date of this notice, apply to An Bord Pleanála for a screening determination as to whether the proposed development would be likely to have a significant effect on the environment.
Plans and Particulars of the proposed development are available for inspection at https://consult.westmeathcoco.ie/en and can be inspected or purchased at a fee not exceeding the reasonable cost of making a copy at the Municipal District of Athlone-Moate, by appointment only, arranged by calling 0906 442113, (This requirement may change in line with National Covid-19 regulations.) from 9.30a.m. to 4.00p.m. each day, excluding weekends and Bank Holidays, from 29th March 2021 up to and including 27th April 2021.
Submissions and observations with respect to the proposed development, may be made via the Councils Consultation Portal at https://consult.westmeathcoco.ie/en or written submissions or observations in relation to the proposed development, clearly marked “Athlone Town Centre, Public Realm Enhancement”, may also be submitted to District Manager, Athlone Municipal District Office, Civic Offices, Athlone to arrive not later than 4.00 p.m. on Wednesday 12th May 2021.
Written submissions or observations received will form part of a statutory report to be presented to a meeting of Westmeath County Council and will form part of a public document. The information contained in submissions may be available for public inspection, to be published on the Councils website and available at the Council’s public counter. Details, including the names of those making submissions may be shared with relevant Council Departments or their agents involved in this Part 8 process.
SIGNED: Mr Barry Kehoe, Director of Services,
Áras an Chontae,
Mullingar Date: 27th-Mar-2021